Little History About The Ranch
We call our
desert cabin 'Rasor Ranch' due to a few reasons... But
the real Rasor Ranch is located at the end of Rasor Road
where the large set of trees are. This is private
property and so is the 160 square acres around it. Rasor
Ranch is private property and owned by Terry Young.
This old cabin
and land along with the other cabin located next to us
were built by Sharon Patterson's father & friend. The other
cabin has a new name now and they call it 'Senior DC's'
place. The reason for this is due to our cabin use to be
owned for many years by a guy named Jr (Ed Penfold) and
the new owners of DC's use to think that since our cabin
was called Jr's, that it would be appropriate to call
the one next to it Senior's.
has told me that these cabins were built in the late
1940's and that she worked many times with her dad
building these two cabins. Her father and his buddy
worked at the ship docks in Long Beach California and
they salvaged a lot of packing lumber boxes and used
that wood to build the cabins.
is a photo story of the Ranch and a few other cabins:
Sharon Patterson 4-01-2010
Desert Cabin History
In the late 1940’s John and Maud Bilderbeck
bought a quarter section of Desert land from a BLM
auction for $3.00 an acre. John built what you
now call the love shack thinking it was on his
property. When he found out it was not on his
property he asked Eugene Selk if he would help him
build another house in exchange for 40 acres of
property. John Bilderbeck and Eugene Selk worked
together for a company called Preco, Inc in the
Los Angeles area for over 25 years and were the
best of friends. They built railroad cars there.
John also sold to Gene Russel, Lonnie and Chester
and I believe one other person 10 acres of his
land to each.
So Eugene and John together built OC Keiths & HB
Marc's house using a lot of wood they got from
packing crates out of the dumpsters at work. They
finished it around 1953. Then Eugene started on
his house around 1954 and worked on it for about 5
years before he had all three rooms built. Most
of the wood and paint he got out of the dumpster
at work also. Sharon and Darlene did a lot of
pounding nails out of boards and straightening
them. He built the shed later. John retired from
Preco in the early 60’s and Eugene in 1969. John
and Maud Bilderbeck lived in Los Angles and Eugene
and Norma Selk live in Whittier with their two
girls Sharon and Darlene.
John sold his house and property to Art Purcell
around 1968 and it was inherited by Art’s son Ron
who finally sold it to JR. Jr sold it to OC Keith
& his brother after that. John and Maud moved to
Yermo and still enjoyed the desert.
of the "Love Shack" by OC Keith
This little cabin was named the 'Love Shack' on
July 22nd, 1990 It was
a very hot and sunny summer afternoon when JR, OC
Keith, Don, Bonnie & many other friends were all
having a little party on the sand dunes in front
of the shack celebrating OC Keith's friend's
birthday. Heather turned 18 years old that day and
while she was busy pouring upside-down margarita
shooters to all the guys.... Dan Shilling
had his stereo in his jeep blasting and the song
that was playing was the "Love Shack" by the
B-52s, so JR yelled out "The Love Shack Baby" and
everyone laughed and then the name stuck......
Believe it or not!
John Bilderbeck in July 1961. John was the original
purchaser of the property and who, with the help of his
friend, Eugene Selk, built the house that is now called
Maud Bilderbeck in Apr 1961. Maud was married to John
and for many, many years.
Maud in front of their house in 1961.
John Bilderbeck and Eugene Selk moving the heavy water
storage tank to its location on the corner of Johns
Water tank successfully placed and ready for service.
Picture of Sharon Selk helping with the hand digging of
one of the original water wells. The first part was
always dug by hand using a pick and shovel and completed
using a ‘home made’ well digging bit. This was in Nov
A picture of Johns house. You can see some of the swamp
coolers used to cool the inside on the really hot days.
This is a photo of the old Jones place as it appeared in
March 1968. The Jones place was a working cattle ranch
for many years. This view shows the granary used for
Another view of the Jones place. This shows the house
that was occupied year round by the Jones family. The
buildings were well protected and shaded by the many
trees. All the buildings have since been destroyed by
thoughtless people who used everything available to fuel
their camp fires.
This is just an old shot of the ‘love shack’ . Not sure
what year, but I suspect it was in the mid 80’s.
A picture of John Bilderbeck and Gene Selk drilling a
well. Here they are about to drop well casing in the
hope. You can see the home made drill bit leaning
against the front of the vehicle.
This is a picture of two long time residents of the
area. The donkey was named Jake and the Goat was
Roscoe. These two were inseparable and spent years
roaming the desert. Here, Sharon is feeding Jake carrots
which, along with crackers, were Jakes favorite snack.
Roscoe is looking on waiting for an opportunity to
‘attack’, which he seemed to love doing. When you turned
your back, he would charge and butt you. It is believed
Jake died of natural causes; however, Roscoe was
apparently shot by some “great sportsman” from the city.
Only his head was found.
A picture of the house in April 1985.
A picture of the ‘love shack’ in June 1986.
This is a photo of the front of the house in Nov 1988,
before the swimming pool was built but after junior
bought the place.
very much Ray (Walking Bear) and Sharon (Dancing Lady)
Patterson, Thanks for helping us preserve the natural
history of Rasor Road.
What a great flash back... now
see the restoration of the Ranch by friends of the
~just click here now~